Aunt Erma was a neat lady. She spent most of her adult life living in Montana so during my childhood we did not see her much. We visited her in Montana twice, once in 1998 and again in 2004. She was tickled that we came to Montana to see her. Then in Oct. of 2005 she moved here. As I sit her and guess at the dates, I just know she is shaking her head at me because she remembered dates with certainty and pride.
Anyway, I was so happy knowing I would get to know her better. When we would visit, she told many stories of my grandma and grandpa, dad, their siblings, and my great aunt and uncles. The kids enjoyed visiting her too. As a baby Grace would snuggle into her arms and play with her fingers. Andrew, of course, would tell stories. I know Aunt Erma enjoyed those. She was able to attend Grace and Logan's baptism too. What a privilege and a blessing to have her close to us and get to know our families better.
I have thought of Aunt Erma a lot in the past weeks, and thought I would add more to this post. When she moved to ND, she got herself a computer. At 81 years old, she took classes and got visually impaired software and surfed the web. She enjoyed looking at our Blog page. Aunt Erma was also a veracious reader, and she loved to take walks to get where she needed to go and just for enjoyment. One of the things I will remember most were her hands. They were pretty knotted from arthritis- just like Grandma Carrie's.
Aunt Erma had not been in the best of health since October and was in tough shape since February. We had visited her more often these past months. Her daughter Pat called on Thursday night, and said she wanted to see us. We, even Scot and Logan, went to see her. We were able to visit a little. Andrew counted and said the ABC's for her. Grace even wanted Erma to tickle her. She thanked us for the Easter card. It was nice to be able to say good-bye since she didn't want a service.
Like I said before, she was a blessing to have her in our lives.

1 comment:
Sending our sympathies. What a blessing that you had these few years to really get to know her better and learn so much about your family as well.
Post a Comment