Saturday, November 26, 2011

We Once Again Meet Jan Brett!




















On Nov. 16, Jan Brett, children's author and illustrator visited North Dakota. So being a devoted fan, the kids and I went to see her. We actually met Jan Brett in 2008 so seeing her again was just amazing. Her newest book, Home For Christmas, is about a little troll who runs away from home . She told us about her trip to Sweden and her childhood inspirations for the book. She is just an amazing lady and so talented. Her illustrations are just beautiful. Each book takes a year to draw, and each square inch takes her an hour to draw.


The kids and I were number 16 in line to have our books signed. The kids had picked out a book each, and I had purchased 2 for myself and 2 for the school. We had heard that she would sign 3 books per person, but when we got to the front of the line so many people had came that she would only sign 2 books per family. Oh, what to do now! I hesitated trying to decide which books. I sent Grace up to meet Jan Brett since she didn't have one signed in 2008. Then it was Andrew's turn, but he held back and said, "I won't have my book signed. You go ahead mom." So kind. But I said no, and he visited with Jan Brett. She was so personable with the kids asking them if they like to read or draw and their other interests. Andrew and Grace were all grins, but not me. I was kind of pouting. We left the store and went home. By now I was acting like a little kid, throwing a tantrum. It's not that I didn't get the books signed. It was more that I had spent the money and the school's money to have them signed. Soooo, I went back to the store and got in line again. This time number 134. It was well worth the wait to meet such a talented lady.

This is her tour bus.


















This is Hedgie. A character in many of her books.

No comments: