Monday, May 31, 2010

What's In a Name?

The English language is quite peculiar- especially the way names are said and spelled. Here are a couple things Grace has said about names. She was holding a bear that Papa and Grandma got for her and asked, "Where did they get this?" I said, "On their trip to Medora." She responds, "like Dora the explorer!!" Cute? Here is another one. We were listening to the weather station and there was something about Montana. Grace then proceeds to say, "Aunty Tanna!! I miss my other mommy. I wish I could see her again." In case you didn't Tanna (Michael's sister) is Grace's Godmother and so she calls Tanna her other mother.

Now on Friday, the kids and I spent the day putting cemetery wreaths out around home. Grace didn't quite now what to think of my mom's name- Eula Mae. She kept saying Grandma Eula, Grandma Eula, with all these different tones and pitches. Andrew occupied his time trying to sound out all those good Norwegian names, which he did well with, but those German names were pretty tough. Now those Finnish names- not even close. I am not sure if I can pronounce those either.

Going to the cemeteries has always been a tradition you could say for my family. I try my best to explain who people are to the kids but they get pretty confused. Grace asked a few times if this was her great-great-great-great grandma or "Is this my family?". She was determined to put as many flowers as she could on Grandma and Grandpa Mort's grave. It was a good day of memories for me and a good day outside for the kids. Hopefully they will carry on the tradition and understand the importance of remembering those who have gone before us and our veterans.

1 comment:

Garden Girl said...

Awwwwwww....I miss my other daughter too! Such a sweetie! Wish I could reach through the computer and give you a big ole hug!